Maratheftiko Beef Stifado (Stew) Recipe
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
· 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 12 ounces small white boiling onions, peeled
· 1 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· 2-1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme OR 1 teaspoon dried thyme
· 2-1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary OR 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
· 2-1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano OR 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 1 bay leaf, crumbled
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 2 cups of ‘Stroumbeli Maratheftiko’ red dry wine
· 1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
· Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat over to 180 degrees C.
Heat oil in heavy 4 to 5 quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Toss beef with flour in large bowl. Add beef to pan in batches and cook until brown, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer browned beef to bowl.
Add onions to pan and cook until light brown, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf, and cumin to pan. Stir in ‘Stroumbeli Maratheftiko’ red dry wine and bring to a boil.
Cover and bake in oven until beef is tender, about 2 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Re warm to 180-degree C oven before continuing.)
Stir feta cheese into stew. Return to oven and continue baking until cheese is heated through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
KAMANTERENA Chicken Flambe
- 4 chicken breast halves with bones, skin on (may substitute skinless, boneless)
- 1/4 teaspoon (about) ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon (about) ground sage
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion cut in quarters
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur
- 1 cup KAMANTERENA Xynisteri dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons whipping cream
- Orange slices for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Spray a shallow casserole dish with vegetable oil.
Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, thyme, and sage. Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. When hot, add olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. When oil is shimmering, place chicken breasts skin-side down in the skillet. Cook until skin is golden brown, then turn and cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove chicken and arrange in the prepared casserole dish.
In the same skillet, add onions and Portobello mushrooms. Sauté, stirring often, until mushrooms give up their liquid and onions have softened. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and arrange around the chicken. Bake 15 minutes, uncovered.
Gently warm orange liqueur until lukewarm, not hot. Remove chicken from the oven. Pour the liqueur over the chicken and vegetables. Flambé by lighting with a long fireplace match or barbecue lighter. Let the flames die out naturally, then add KAMANTERENA Xynisteri to the pan and return to the oven. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until center of chicken breast reads 75 C. on an instant-read thermometer. Remove chicken and vegetables to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm while you make the sauce.
Whisk together butter and flour until smooth and add to the pan juices. Stir in cream and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes until thickened, stirring often. Taste, adding salt and pepper, if necessary. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables. Garnish with orange slices, if desired.
Wild rice and a green vegetable round out the meal.